From:
John Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 05:31:21 +0000
Bernard Chasan and Deryk Barker both note that Ive's Universe Symphony,
which I introduced to this thread, does not sound much like Ives.  I
didn't go into that aspect in my note, but the un-Ivesness of the piece
is striking.  Deryk cites a source who claims that Larry Austin, the
'realizer' of the symphony, did not understand the sketches of the work
that Ives left behind.

I know nothing of Austin and it very well may be that he did less than an
ideal job of completing Ives' symphony.  However, according to Austin's
comments in the liner notes, Ives left memos inviting other composers to
expand on the ideas presented in the sketches he left behind.  So, maybe
much of this piece is Austin, but maybe also, that would have been fine
with Ives.  Whatever the case, I can think of no other composer more likely
to have written a piece that did not sound as if he had written it than
Ives.

Regards,

John Parker