HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Nance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:30:38 -0500
I am a state employee and, therefor, a public servant.  As such it is one of my duties to assist the public whenever possible.  At our office we have seen our share of things such as fossilized gorilla skulls, fossil chicken feet, and the petrified tears (small polished stones) left by the Cherokees on the Trail of Tears.  Several years ago a tabloid ran a story that an "archaeologist" exploring caves in the Smokey Mountains had discovered proof that Jesus had visited the Cherokees.  We were inundated with calls from people who wanted more information.  We try to be open minded and do our best to deal with these people tactfully and honestly, and we thank them profusely for bringing the "artifact/discovery" to our attention.  We also send them away with an armful of literature to help teach them about archaeology.  Most leave noticeably disappointed, but a few have been interested enough to learn more.

Some people are adamant in their beliefs no matter what evidence to the contrary is presented to them.  A man called our office saying that he had found a buried vault in his front yard.  He believed that every plantation had a hidden vault in which valuables were hidden during the Civil War.  His vault was a concrete structure about 4' by 8' and about five feet underground.  I suggested that he may have discovered a septic tank, but he insisted that it was indeed a vault.  I finally went to look at the find with two colleagues (strength in numbers).  It was not a septic tank-it was not even concrete.  He had hit limestone bedrock, and what he thought were the edges of a vault were actually fissures in the rock.  He didn't want to hear our explanation, he just wanted to know where he should dig to find the entrance.  Eventually the man became angry, said we didn't know what we were talking about, and told us to leave (with several oaths thrown in for good measure).  It turned out that we were not the first ones he had called and would not be the last.  By the way, he also thought that his front porch was a Civil War "artillery platform."

Maybe when dealing with some people it is better to heed a former professor's advice: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS."  No, I wouldn't do that.

Ben.

Benjamin C. Nance
Historical Archaeologist
Tennessee Division of Archaeology