HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lon Bulgrin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:37:38 +1000
Ron May wrote:

> Good morning to you,
>
> Yes, I bought one of those little bowls with the incised lines myself. But, I
> want to know if other historic archaeologists have found them in
> archaeological contexts and the date of the contexts. I only know Pete
> Schultz here in California reported one from Woodland, California.
>
> Ron May
> Legacy 106, Inc.

Ron,
These bowls are a common find on Japanese Period (1914-1944) sites here on Saipan
(and on Tinian and Rota the other two major islands of the Northern Marianas) .
They may have been imported by Japanese merchants as early as the 1880s but most
of the sites of that period were obliterated on Saipan and Tinian by the invasion
in 1944.
Lon

"Why would you want to live in the 21st century when the 17th, 18th, and the
19th are still available?"