HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:21:10 -0500
Well, my experience with the Welsh has been richly rewarding. As an American
I truly appreciate the talents of Anthony Hopkins and Richard Burton, who
apparently lived in the same village in Wales and according to the Daily
News in New York, Elizabeth Taylor will be buried alongside her former
husband when the time comes.

I worked and had the remarkable good fortune of knowing Mary FitzHerbert
(chucklechuckle one of the King's scandalous affairs, which one I can't
remember, I am still trying to figure out "King's Consort" Caroline, the
name of the second oldest Anglican church in America, complete with musket
balls in it, on the green in Setauket, NY) from Hillside Farm on the Birches
Road near Penallt, Wales, near the Wye River one of the borders of Wales
with England.

Mary lived in Uruguay and worked there in archaeology also. In fact some of
her friends helped a US Fullbright scholar work on the sites that were in
the way of a huge hydroelectric dam going up then between Uruguay and
Brazil. We worked together with William Hampton Adams, Ph.D. on the
remediation of sites in the state of Mississippi (the Queen has the largest
single property in that state) along the impacts of the Tennessee-Tombigbee
(rivers) Canal system, chosen by the US Congress over a proposed "Energy
Island" for New York City, one summer. Coincidently, the Fullbright scholar,
who also wrote for "American Antiquity" lived nearby and through slides,
Mary was reunited with former Uruguayan friends, who, do to the political
climate of the multi-national project, she worried about. The Paris, France,
"Museum of Man" also worked on the sites there, the first time I saw a
monoped overhead camera system used (later I assisted a biped system was
used for overheads at the Augustine Heerman Warehouse site in Lower
Manhattan, PI'ed by Joel W. Grossman, Ph.D.). She in the middle of job there
went to the Philippines, where her son works for Dole, Inc., to attend his
marriage, where the world's only all-bamboo organ was played. I received a
souvenir from there. Although we shared an apartment, she was going through
a divorce from a former Iberia Airlines pilot turned executive and returned
after the work in Mississippi to Hillside Farm to attend to her mother, now
sick. She had been on a student visa, and attended Stony Brook University,
where she was also an archaeological illustrator. I valued her company
immensely and we travelled around Mississippi visiting the Cobb Institute
for Archaeology (Mrs. Cobb turned 96 while there) some of the state held
mound sites, and slept over at the Moundville, Alabama site, visited Russel
Cave National site, Mr. McCrory's gravesite, one of George Washington's
"lifeguards" and any other archaeologically interesting place we/I could
find between NY and Columbus, MS. I would have been lost without her.

George Myers