From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:52:58 -0800
Charles L. L. Dalmas wrote:

>Maybe I'm rambling, but I also seem to remember than 25 years ago,
>some pop music was actually worth someething (not that disco trash).
>I remember Jimmy Paige experimenting with different guitar tunings in
>songs such as "The Rain Song." Pink Floyd's "Several Species of Small
>Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" is
>also an experimental stroke of originality.  Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman
>made important pop music contributions in Yes, and Keith Emerson actually
>wrote a worthy piano concerto.

It is doing an injustice to the rock experimentalists of today for you
to lump them in with current top 40.  The adventurous music you you refer
to of yesteryear contains no more number one hits than the music of today;
you're just not taking the energy to explore beyond what you hear from the
local top 40 station.  Not that I expect you to.  It does, after all, take
work, and you are satisfied with the Yes-es and Pink Floyds of the 70's.
Their equivalents do exist today, however.  Your generalizations are
unfair.  BTW, I hear no disco on the radio.  You speak of which you
know not.

Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>