From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:33:48 -0800
Bernard Gregoire reports:

>>Ordinary listeners are put off by too much insider discussions with key
>>signatures and opus numbers, etc.

Steve Schwartz responded:

>As is clear from the writings of this group, he is wrong.  How many times
>has anyone on this list talked about any of these things? He is essentially
>asserting a prejudice.

But Opus numbers are often given.   Key signatures are mentioned in
order to identify pieces from the many written by any composer.

>I worry in the sense that I don't want concerts and recordings of CM to
>dry up (or to be supplanted by inane crossover).

Me too.  With your friends (and some of mine) I often wonder how much of
the shying away from such concerts has to do with the formality of it all,
with people sometimes afraid to breathe lest they disturb the concentration
of the person sitting next to them and hardly anyone moving.  It's not like
other music events were people will sway or move somewhat to the rhythms of
the music.  Some, in the audience do.  But I am often surprised by how
beautiful something is while seeming not to move any listener physically
at all, just a 'head' experience.

Now, I don't mean ultra swaying, just a tiny bit of movement, the kind
that sometimes you can hardly help.  There's a "This is *serious* stuff"
that can make others a bit uncomfortable until they become involved with a
piece through careful listening outside the hall sometimes and maybe some
guidance from a friend.

Andrys
http://andrys.com
http://mp3.com/andrys