From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:24:27 EST
Mike Smith writes:

>EMI released that recording at the same time as the Brahms Double Concerto
>with Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Szell/Cleveland.  I think those LPs (along with
>a Dvorak 8), were Szell's very last recordings--1969 or early '70.  Most of
>the review praise went to the Double, with more limited enthusiasm for the
>Violin Concerto.  Does anyone know if they've been paired on a CD? If so,
>definitely worth snagging.  Cheers,

I do not know, however, I know that the Brahms double conceto is currently
coupled with a Herbie Von K recording of the Beethoven triple concerto as
part of EMI's great recordings series.  Personally, I found the Beethoven
triple concerto to be overrated.  I recently listened to the Naxos
recording of the triple and still think it is the best one that I have
heard.  Perhaps one day Naxos will have a great recording of the millenium
series and we will see the Beethoven triple concerto coupled with some
other great treasure from the Naxos vaults.  In the meantime, I will keep
my eyes open for the Szell/Oistrach recording.

Steve