From:
Richard Ujvary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:48:50 -0400
You know if this is true then the conclusion one would have to take is that
perhaps this RC business seems not to be doing too much to interest new and
potential classical listeners especially listeners under 35.  If this is
such great music why don't more people listen to it? I wonder if they're
really made to feel that they need some kind of a special ticket or
knowledge in their musical bag when perhaps all they need is what they
already have........ears.

I suspect that the RC stuff is just perceived as some kind of didactic
exercise purporting to instruct and edify but really prescribing or
(perhaps unintentionally proscribing?) what is really fine music and what
should be listened to.  It's real evident to me why people would possibly
beg off this music when getting in the clutches of a hold the line RC
classical music crowd.  For me, I got my lesson after picking up a pamphlet
showing works that were the hallmark of certain composers.  They were great
but I asked myself where were the ones I liked? They missed 'em and big
time.  At that point,I felt sufficiently full of myself to say to the
pamphleteers yes I liked your choices but I like mine better.  It was then
that I knew I was on my own in the classical landscape but all the time
knowing and keeping in mind what Will Rogers said......."we're all
ignorant....but on different things".

Rich