From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:08:37 +0100
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Tony Duggan wrote:
>
>>In a sensitive and appropriate move the BBC has changed the programme for
>>this year's Last Night of The Proms to be conducted by Leonard Slatkin,
>>"live" on TV this Saturday.  The second half is the part of the concert
>>that everyone knows and I need not remind you of the usual fare.
>
>Please advise this barbarian on the other side of the pond what the second
>half of the concert would normally have been.  I may have known but have
>forgotten.

Principally "Pomp and Circumstance No.1" by Elgar and "Fantasia on British
Sea Songs" arranged by Wood containing "Rule Brittania." None of which the
BBC considers in keeping with the mood of the moment.  But I have to report
that this does not appear to be the entire opinion of the nation who pays
for the BBC's existence.

Will there be a rebellion on the night? Will the audience sing "Land of
Hope and Glory" anyway?

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler recordings survey:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/index.html