From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:15:41 +0100
Peter Schenkman wrote:

>Anyone looking for Bruckner Symphonies (sixth or most of the others) would
>be well advised to have a listen to Celibidache whose recordings of most of
>the them can be found (in different performances) on DG and more recently
>on EMI.  In a word, mesmerizing.

Yes, mesmerizing is a good word for some of them.  I am sure Dr. Mesmer
would have found use for them on some of his patients.  What Bruckner would
have thought is another matter.  I have heard a Bruckner 7 by Celi that was
slow beyond all belief or reason.  How the orchestra's brass players didn't
suffocate I do not know.  Great to hear from time to time but not for the
everyday.

The Sixth by Skrowaczewski on Arte Nova is very fine, by thge way.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler recordings survey:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/index.html