From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 23:15:10 -0400
I think it's unrealistic to think that 'art' musicians necessarily listen
to art music with their free time.  After all, they are just like everyone
else in that we all have complex personalities and internal contrasts.
Criminal types do perform good deeds now and then; the altruistic sometimes
are self-serving and inconsiderate although they would never admit to it.

Do any list members know of classical artists who prefer Rap music
to most other non-classical music? That's where I find myself lately,
much preferring Rap to Pop, Country, and most anything else including
the Vivaldi/Mendelssohn/Tchaikovsky/Liszt/Williams Quintet and those
neo-romantics of yesterday and today.  My wife Ellen Jane is perplexed by
my Rap preference.  I tell her it's based on the hard-driving rhythms and
the primitive nature of the music.  She thinks it's just the hot-looking
women in the videos; she has a good point there.

Overall, I have no reason to assume that classical artists live and breathe
the stuff during every waking hour of the day, and it's none of my business
what they do with their time.  If I remember correctly, I read about a
famous classical artist who favors the deceased group named the Carpenters.
It's a big world with all sorts of crazy things going on; that's why life
is grand.

Don Satz