From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:38:00 -0400
Juozas Rimas writes:

>I wonder how much time it takes to actually listen to dozens of
>renditions of a 30-part work with many repeats.

It's taking me about 5 hours per variation which would come out to the
neighborhood of 150 hours plus playing each version straight-through a
couple of times.  There's more than "listening" involved; just making the
best audio adjustments for each version adds up to much time.

>I admit that I prefer the slow way of playing the 11th sinfonia - maybe Don
>can admit that he prefers slower Goldberg Variations?

There's probably some validity in that, but it always revolves around what
the artist is doing with the slow tempo.  Just playing slower is not going
to win the day - greater expressiveness and some imaginative pacing and/or
ornamentation is a must.  So far, Tureck's DG release provides those
features.

Don Satz