From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:49:48 +0200
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>:

>The correct stress in German is: bux-te-HU-de

That is the correct stress is German, but Buxtehude could as well be
considered to be a Dane, as we have no exact info on where and when he was
born, and the fact that he spent a great deal of his life in Helsingborg,
Helsingoer etc, the Danish pronounciation should also be considered:
Bux-te-HU-the!

>(I also noticed a posting by a gentleman from Norway who insisted on
>accenting Pachelbel on the last syllable.  Sorry, but this is not only
>wrong, it also sounds really weird in German (in this name).) [Don't
>worry, the gentleman from Norway sounds really weird no matter where he
>is...  -Dave]

Thank you Dave, for this utterly bright notice of yours.  And I agree.  The
strongest evidence for that he is really weird is that he keeps staying on
this list, with such sharpeyed people around.

If we now are talking about how Pachelbel pronounced his name in his time,
I admit to have been wrong.  As he lived in Nuernberg he, with that accent,
might have pronounced his name:  PAA-xel-bel.  The x same sound as in
Sachs.  For those who dabble with descendants of Pachelbel being still
alive, please allow me to bring these news:  language and names can change
over time:  Webern etc etc, not to mention Sibelius *g*.

And Pachelbel with an accent on the middle syllable doesn't sound weird
at all.  I am used to hear (read read) errartic Englishifications at this
time.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Mats Norrman
Schweden