From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:24:44 -0400
 Georg Philipp Telemann(1681-1767)
        Organ Works

Transcription of Bach's BWV 985
Transcription of J.G. Walther's Sonata in G major
Passacaille in B minor
Fantasia in D major
Sonata for two Manuels and Pedal in D major
Choral Preludes in Pairs:
Allein Gott in der Hoh sei Ehr
Vater unser im Himmelreich
Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns
Komm heilger Geist
Nun freut euch lieben Christen gmein

Wofgang Baumgratz - Organ
MDG Gold 320 0078-2
Total Time: 55:06
Recorded: 1985
Issued: 1997

Summary for Telemann and Organ Enthusiasts: Thumbs Up.

Recordings of Telemann organ works are infrequent.  My Schwann Opus from
two years ago has only one entry - the same one that I'm now reviewing.
Also, I've not seen any other recordings either in stores or on web sites.
Personally, I had not heard a note of a Telemann organ work until I bought
the Baumgratz disc a few weeks ago and am much impressed.

Actually, matters don't start off well at all.  The transcription of Bach's
BWV 985 leaves me cold.  The second work, the Passacaille, takes a twenty
second theme and applies to it eight variations also lasting about twenty
seconds each.  Even Bach would be challenged to overcome the restrictions.
I should point out that these first two works only take up about ten
minutes.

All is quite well after the Passacaille.  The da capo Fantasia has an
Allegro with an infectious exuberance and sudden phrase endings.  The
Sonata for two Manuels and Pedal has some deeply affecting and slow music.
The Walther transcription is a delightful one with exciting fast movements.
Best of all are the choral preludes which display the musical genius of
Telemann.  They are highly inventive and different from one another, and
they often employ rhythms unusual for choral preludes.  I am most taken
with the first prelude to "Nun freut euch lieben Christen gmein".  Its
soaring quality is magical.

Wolfgang Baumgratz gives a great set of performances on the organ at the
St.  Petri Cathedral in Bremen.  I think he maximizes the diversity in the
music and always finds the right pulse and rhythm.  The organ sound is
excellent, perhaps a little too rich.  The booklet notes are skimpy and
much too general - might as well write nothing.

Don's Conclusions:  The Telemann organ disc rates a good sized
recommendation.  Most of the music is very enjoyable, and the choral
preludes are masterful.  Previously, I had not heard any Telemann
compositions which moved me as much as his sacred vocal works; this MDG
disc is at that high level.  Give it a listen and tell me of your opinion.

Don Satz