From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:44:03 +0200
In addition to this in April discussed topic of "personal traits" and
interpretation, which I wanted to add something to after having come
across some new recordings.  I listened to Sherbackows recordings of
Beethoven diabolical Diabelli Variations.  I only half joking said long
ago to a listmember I involved in discussion that I might not be able
to differ it from a certain other composers etudes....let me add:  not
when it comes to temperament!!  The Diabelli variations are fileld with
Beethovens temperament, and thinking process:  That dancing little
diddeliding sequence that is crushed down to just rythm in the first
varation, and then everything builds up again over roughly 55 minutes.
I think Naxos has made a lucky choice in snipping up this matrix (why
isn't this pianist recording more, like with Jandoe's force?).  Speaking
of Jandoe, he can play eveything, Schernackow is outstanding in a certain
piece.  If one can argue Geoffrey Bush plays the Diabelli so childishly
frustrated as he was a homosexual male and Beethoven was not, what is
then Jandoe, who playes everything at least with elegance, and some corn
of humour?

Mats Norrman