From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:31:25 +0100
a small follow up; Kevin Sutton in his Quiz states:  (Sorry to say I'm just
back from a Christmas and New Years vacation to reply to Kevins quiz..)

>7.  Beethoven's fifth symphony is unique because of an orchestrational
>'first.' What two instruments did Beethoven introduce into the symphony
>orchestra for the first time in his fifth symphony?
>
>Piccolo, trombones

I cant say anything about the piccolo, but I kow of at least one symphony
written in paralell to LvB's fiver, and premiered more than a year before
the"fate" symphony, this is Swedish composer Joachim Nicholas Eggerts
Symphony in E-flat (premiered 14 may 1807 versus 22 december 1808 for LvB's
S5).

Hence I belive its time to rewrite the musical history in this part,
atleast in saying that Beethoven was first in using Trombones, this I
belive is a fine example on how rigid the musical cannon is and on how
flexible history is in the real world.  I'm sure that when we start
scrutinising the canonisized Beethoven we will see that he was neither
first with anything nor the giant 19th-century musicology has formed his
stature to be.

You can find a longer article by Avishai Kallai on Eggert, Beethoven and
Trombones at:

   http://hem.passagen.se/posaune/Eggert.htm

Unfortunatly there is AFAIK no current recording of the Eggert Sympony
availible, but there was an LP on Swedish Society Discofil [SLT 33272]

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DDS 100 (1906-2006)