From:
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 09:41:07 +1100
Wilson Pereira wrote, from the City of the Sun:

>a plot of "Death at La Fenice", by Donna Leon (New Jersey, 1942),
>a marvellous book that I recommend to all lovers of classical music and
>detective stories.  I know from previous experience that list members
>probably don't care about what Marcel Proust said about the violin (see
>my post "Proust and The Violin" of 27/11) but what about fictional books
>where conductors, tenors, sopranos are the main characters of the plot?
>Can anyone suggests more examples of the kind? By the way, in my opinion,
>Mr. Wellauer's profile in Donna Leon's book is very much alike with the
>Herbert von Karajan.

Ellis Peters, who also wrote as Edith Pargeter, and who is famous - in some
circles - for writing seventeen or more medieval whodunnits turned her hand
to an operatic whodunnit in "Funeral of Figaro", published in paperback by
Headline, ISBN 0 7472 3371 3.

Quite a good read, helped by a knowledge of the plot and structure of the
work, which I did not have when I first read it.  Not earth-shatteringly
important, but showing good human insights and a reasonable amount of
suspense.  I recommend it to music and detective fiction addicts.

Alan Dudley