From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 00:52:30 -0300
Denis Fodor in response to me:

>>I don't remember, Rimsky-Korsakoff aside, another composer engaged in
>>a military career.
>
>Frederick the Great?

Damn, I knew I was missing someone!.  I missed also Rouget de Lisle.  But
Freddie was a special case.  He didn't follow a normal military career:
he was just a King, and the military status came to him with his birth.  He
refused his military education in his early years and tried to escape from
Prussia, an attempt that costed him some time in prision at Kustrin (1730)
and the death of his friend, lieutenant Von Katte.  Later, as every king
who defends his possesions, he became a military commander, but he was just
an average one (Mollwitz was won by his generals...).  However, we owe to
him a famous tune and a couple good concerti, which is far more than we owe
to Cesar Cui.

Pablo Massa