Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 05:35:16 -0800
From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Jocelyn Wang wrote:

>Yeah, we need more cacophony.  If it weren't for guys like them, who would
>make listeners wary of anything composed in the last 70 years or so?

That statement could be applied to any period in Music history.  Have you
ever read the 'critical' reaction to Beethovan's 2nd symphony when it was
premiered?

I happen to like Carter.  I got to like him in my early 20's when I first
heard his 1st Quartet.  I consider that work to be quite 'romantic' - as
compared to the Double Concerto or the 4th Quartet.  I never warmed up to
Boulez.

20th century music has such a range of styles and tonality that there is
more than enough substantial and enjoyable music to be heard.  The last 70
years have produced some wonderful music - from the Symphonies of Tubin and
Kokkonen - to the best of Copland - not to mention the last works of
Rachmaninoff.

Thanks to the capacity and technology of CD's we get to hear it all!

Dave Harman
El Paso, Tx