Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:23:39 +0100
From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Hello to everybody!  Highly recommended though not utterly convincing in
my eyes is the French-Austrian movie Die Klavierspielerin (Le Pianiste)
about a professor for piano who experiences a humilitating sado-maso
affair.  Isabelle Huppert is brillant as Professor Kohut, a woman who
uses (alas!) especially Schubert to humiliate and torture her pupils.
Fantastic sequences show her and her partner Benoite Magimel playing the
piano brillanty.  Of course it wasn't them who played but you see their
hands and they are in place.  Wonder how they did this.  What is especially
interesting about the movie is the way that the wonderful and deeply felt
music of Schubert is used as a means to hurt people.  The key role in the
film plays the Lied Im Dorfe from Winterreise.  A good friend of mine who
saw the film with me and who is not into classical music asked me:  "Why
did she do music after all being so rude and mean?" She mistreated music
as she mistreated people.  Go and see the movie if you possibly can.

Have a Schubert kind of day,
Robert Peters