Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:00:46 +0800
From:
Gerald F Pillay <[log in to unmask]>
Hector Aguilar wrote:

>There seems to be a lot of disagreement over Heifetz' Brahms.  I personally
>think it's great, but I have friends who detest it.  It's just a matter of
>taste.

It is a matter of taste.  One can also like more than one interpretation
of a work.  It is the one I like above the others (that I know).

To me, the Heifetz-Reiner recording is taken at just the right pace to
keep this huge work off the ground as one integrated wholly satisfying
experience.  The playing is sheer perfection.

This is not to say I do not enjoy other more romantically inclined and
indulgent adventures of it, I was for instance mesmerised by Menuhin's
very deliberate performance on TV made around 1974.

I agree with Anne Sophie Mutter, though, about Kreisler's performance.

Gerald F. Pillay