Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:45:05 -0400
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Didrik Schiele writes:

>I don't understand the point in listening to a composer who nobody else
>takes interest in...

I suppose the above could also apply to performers of little note or
reputation.  The problem is that each of us has unique characteristics
and traits.  Just because 'most' folks don't know or care for a certain
composer or performer is no guarantee that I would have the same opinion.

Lately, I've been ordering some cd's directly from the record companies;
these are organ discs performed on obscure labels by performers who are
equally or more obscure.  I'm very pleased to have this route available,
and I expect that I will hit on some gems from time to time.  There are
plenty of well-known composers and performers I wouldn't pay one dime to
hear again.  Ultimately, each of us determines who's good or not; I'm
certainly not going to depend on the views of the majority or some sort
of consensus.

Don Satz