Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:35:29 -0400
From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Listers, First of all, heartfelt greetings to all who might remember
me from ancient times!

On December 6, 2000, Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>According to John Woollard's orchestras page, today and tomorrow, the
>Vienna Symphony Orchestra under Ulf Schirmer will be performing the
>Wellesz symphony no.  9 ...  I hope they're arranging to have this, the
>Viotti-conducted 3rd symphony premiere of earlier this year, and any
>possible future Wellesz performances recorded for (may I hope?) recording,
>since none of this (very fine!) composer's symphonies have been made
>generally available on recording (though other works, thankfully, have,
>albeit not in profusion.  A Desto LP of the stunning- in my honest opinion-
>solo cello sonata comes to mind.)

Having found a more recent piece of information, I have little doubt, if
any, that Eric is aware by now that CPO is going to record the whole set of
symphonies in the upcoming years with the RSO Vienna conducted by Gottfried
Rabl.  Since there seems to have been no mention of this in the list
archives, though, here is the source:

   http://www.rso-wien.orf.at/seiten/cdprod/cdprod2.html

"Fuer die deutsche Firma cpo wird das RSO-Wien unter Gottfried Rabl in den
naechsten Jahren alle 9 Symphonien von Egon Wellesz produzieren."

Well, many of us thought of CPO as the right company for this, but still,
it must be nothing less than a major event, for those who, like me, have
been waiting for a chance to hear those works for more than fifteen years.
I may be wrong, but I cannot think of any other composer so commonly
mentioned as a major symphonist in standard reference books, and whose
symphonies nevertheless were completely ignored by the record industry,
both on LP and on CD.  There were others like Ebbe Hamerik (whose enticing
5th was recorded and released by Danacord some time ago), but none as
"well-known" as Wellesz.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le