Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:24:45 -0400
From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Probably not.  After all, many anti-Semitic composers are played in Israel
>without such acting out.  In fact, if you were to exclude anti-Semitic
>composers from your listening, you'd have very little left from the 18th
>and 19th centuries (and probably the first half of the 20th).

So what? This issue is not about other anti Semitic composers..  This was
about Wagner.  The link to the Nazi's and Wagner's descendants support of
the Nazi's and Nazi nationalism of music is I think the key difference.
Obviously for many of the Israelis, they feel the same way.  They
understand this distinction and it is neither hypocritical or unreasonable
in my opinion.

>As for the Israel controversy, it never ceases to amaze me how many people
>are eager to determine what you should read, think, watch, or listen to.

Well, I dislike censorship too.  But you know being being sensitive and
thoughtful can go a long way in the healing process.  Dare you to play
Dixie on a Harlem street and whine about censorship.  This process is
something the Israeli music community and concert goers have to sort out
themselves.

Kim