Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:37:39 +0200
From:
Juozas Rimas <[log in to unmask]>
A very pithy round-up:  I wonder how much time it takes to actually listen
to dozens of renditions of a 30-part work with many repeats.  It's good
Bach won't "fade" even after that many listens.

However, I think everything goes toward TureckDG's supremacy.  I also
have suddenly felt strong affinity to extremely slow and clear versions
of certain pieces (eg Gould's hyper-slow-and-beautiful 11th sinfonia) but
I try to separate them from the faster interpetations.  I admit that I
prefer the slow way of playing the 11th sinfonia - maybe Don can admit
that he prefers slower Goldberg Variations? Anyway, there could be groups
of slow and fast renditions with their respective leaders.

I haven't yet bought TureckDG (probably will - it'd be nice to have a slow
version of Goldbergs) but I can listen to all the sound clips from the CD
at:

   http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=518401506/pagename=/RP/CDN/CLASS/muzealbum.html/itemid=643468

(those reading Don's reviews and not having huge CD libraries at home may
consider streaming the CDs at cdnow.com or the labels' sites)

Starting with the 1st variation, it's obvious that fast playing (as Gould
1955) and slow playing (TureckDG) produce absolutely different worlds
hardly possible to compare.  You have an amazing electrified flow in Gould
and extreme clarity and detail in Tureck.

P.S.  If Gould's (1955) 25th variation won't be on Level 3, I'll refuse to
read on:)

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/141/juozas_rimas.html