Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:47:15 +0100
From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
I am an ex-pat New Zealander and am greatly sadened to hear that Lilburn
died.

There is a wonderful CD of his 3 symphonies on the Continum label, all 3
conducted by John Hopkins and performed by the NZSO.  The second symphony
is lovely with a delightful scherzo (based on the cry of the paper boy
selling the Wellington Evening Post) and the soaring dramatic finale.
The movement from the subdued 3rd movement to the open vistas of the
4th, a real lifting of atmosphere, is stunning.  The CD is warmly and
realistically recorded.  The NZSO shows why it is the finest symphony
orchestra in the Southern hemisphere (a dark layered sound with floating
string section) - it can beat the Aussie bands hands down.

Do not confuse this with an earlier CD where Hopkins conducts 2 of the 3
symphonies.

I think the CD is a wonderful tribute to Lilburn.

Regards,

David Harbin
Nottingham,UK