Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:50:21 -0600
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Don Satz:

>Jean Francaix (1912-1997) is a composer I know little about.  From what
>I've read, his music is neo-classical, youthful, playful, happy, frothy,
>and loaded with humor.

In general, I'd say that's a fair description.  However, it's fairer to say
he's a composer very strongly influenced by Satie and Stravinsky.

>I do have a few questions which I hope list members will answer:
>
>1.  Are the works of Francaix neo-classical throughout his career, or did
>he veer away from that style after the 1930's?

He found his groove early on and stuck to it.  Sometimes it deepened, as
Satie's Socrate did, but it's still the same general style.

>2.  What are considered the best compositions Francaix wrote?

I don't know about anybody else, but I like his Divertimentissements for
1) bassoon and string quartet and 2) oboe, clarinet, and bassoon; piano
concerto and concertino; Quadruple Concerto; Rhapsody for viola; his two
wind quintets; L'Horloge de flore for oboe and orchestra; Suite for Violin;
and the delightful Serenade.

>3.  What do you think of the works on the ASV disc?

They're okay.  Very attractive.

>4.  What discs devoted to Francaix do you recommend?

Very few discs are devoted to Francaix.  He generally shows up as filler to
someone else.  I like the chamber music on Koch.

Steve Schwartz