Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:37:48 -0600
From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Dear listers:  One of the advantages of working for a big record store
is all of the free cds I get to cart home with me.  I thought I would
share the wealth in a fun way.  This may not appeal to our more seasoned
collectors, but some of our junior listers might get a kick out of it and
benefit too.  I decided to clean off the shelves a bit of some duplicate
repertoire, and will offer the following:

DG panorama series 2disc sets of Mussorgsky and Debussy, various works.
Cedille recording of Frank Ferko's Stabat Mater Bach Trio Sonatas played
by The Rare Fruits Council on Astree records.  And Piffaro's "A Flemish
Feast" cd of Renaissance instrumental music on Archive to the person who
correctly answers the following music quiz.  If more than one correct entry
is received by the deadline, I will place the names in a hat and have a
drawing for the winner.  I will even pay for the postage.  Please submit
your answers to me privately.  These aren't easy questions necessarily, but
this isn't a simple bunch either.  Good luck.  Deadline for entries is
Midnight American Central Time on Friday, January 5.  I will post the
results and the answers when the when the winner is drawn.

The Quiz:

1.  Johann Sebastian Bach was not only a prolific composer, but was
prolific also in populating Thuringia.  How many children did Ole JSB sire?

2.  Name two works in the standard orchestral repertoire (excluding the
Rite of Spring) that have movements in 5/4 time.

3.  Peter Tchailovsky, Benjamin Britten and Aaron Copland all posessed this
personality trait.  What was it?

4.  Carlo Gesualdo was a famous and revolutionary composer in the late 16th
century.  For what crime was he equally in-famous?

5.  This work, according to legend, convinced the Council of Trent *not* to
ban the use of polyphonic music in the church.  What was the piece and who
wrote it?

6.  Who composed an opera based on the legend above?

7.  Beethoven's fifth symphony is unique because of an orchestrational
'first.' What two instruments did Beethoven introduce into the symphony
orchestra for the first time in his fifth symphony?

8.  Who was J.S. Bach's immediate predecessor in Leipzig?

9.  What early 20th century German composer committed suicide rather than
fight in Hitler's army?

10.  What twentieth century composer wrote a solo sonata for every
instrument in the orchestra?

11.  In 1913, Pierre Monteaux conducted the premier of a controversial
work.  The performance so stirred the audience that a riot broke out in
the theatre.  What was the work and who was the composer?

12.  Throughout his career, a recurring theme appears in the stage and
vocal works of Benjamin Britten.  What is this theme? (not a melody, rather
a situation)

13.  Who was the librettist for Don Giovanni, Cosi fan Tutte and Le Nozze
de Figaro?

14.  Until recently, this composer's music was not played in the state of
Israel.  Who was it?

15.  This famous organist and composer collapsed and died at the console
during mass.  Who was he?

16.  Name the members of "les Six."

17.  This composer is thought to have composed the first complete setting
of the ordinary of the mass.  Who was he and what was the work in question?

18.  Orlando di Lasso wrote only one work in the Chromatic style that was
exemplified by Gesualdo.  What was this work?

19.  What British church-related law prompted Handel to compose his many
oratorios.

20.  This symphony was subtitled "An artist's response to just criticism."
What was the work and who composed it?

21.  Name the conductor who succeeded Willem Mengelberg at the helm of the
Concertgebouw orchestra of Amsterdam.

22.  This conductor was reknowned for his interpretations of Bruckner, but
fell in with the Nazi regime, and was thus banned from conducting after the
war.  He died around the age of forty before his career could resume.  Who
is he?

23.  This famous singer's philosophy was "Never sing louder than lovely."
Who was she?

24.  In the fifties, Hollywood made a film about a famous singer who was
stricken with polio, but went on to resume her career.  What was the film,
who was the singer and what other famous soprano did the real singing for
the actress playing the role?

25.  Who is alleged to have said, "Tenor is not a fach, it's a disease."

26.  Berlioz composed the first piece of "acid rock" as it were.  What is
the work and under the influence of what drug was it supposedly composed?

27.  Copland, Diamond, Barber, Glass, and Rorem all studied with this
famous French pedagogue.  Who was she?

28.  This lady made many recordings of harpsichord music at her home in
Connecticut.  She played a huge role in the revival of the harpsichord as
a solo instrument.  Who was she?

29.  How many instruments does it take to play a baroque trio sonata?

30.  This famous medieval work made fun of the ruling classes and the
church, portraying the pope as a Jackass.  What was the work, and what
composer is attributed to have composed or compiled it?

That ought to be enough.  I have some more cd's and I will have another
contest later.

Kevin Sutton