Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 23:29:41 -0500
> > Because of the fast fall off
> >in field strength with distance
>
>         One shouldn't assume this falloff is monotonic.  A paper in
> Wireless World a decade ago discussed how the shape of the
> field gradient
> could focus cosmic rays (highly ionizing radiation, which of
> course the
> actual 50Hz or 60 Hz mains fields are not) and offered
> evidence (from big
> Geiger counters) that it is so.

The electromagnetic energy from the power lines will drop very fast (square
of the distance? wish I still had my books). Some basic information on
radiated waves is here: http://www.fas.org/spp/military/docops/afwa/U2.htm

http://hawkins.pair.com/eRadiation.html

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/whyantradiates.html

There could be other factors that could cause an increase in the amount of
energy directed on one direction (a lobe in the field) such as a mass of
metal near the hives. More energy can also be released at a higher frequency
when insulators are arcing. One way to detect this (when it gets real bad
you can hear it) is with an AM radio tuned to a weak station. A bad leak
will drown out all stations and make life miserable for local ham radio
operators.......
-
"One of the best examples of pure democracy in action is the lynch mob"
- AA4YU