From:
Michael Cervin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:18:14 +0200
Donald Satz wrote:

>The Bach record collectors on the list might find the following new
>recordings rather tempting:
>
>CBC 1141 - Solo Cello Suites performed on viola by Rivka Golani.  The set
>should be available in the US on 17 July.

Just about everyone seems to be recording the Cello Suites on the "wrong"
instrument these days.  AFAIK, this is the fifth recording of all six on
the viola (Rowland-Jones, Imai, Westphal, Mccarty; Primrose recorded only
five suites).  I have almost lost count of "proper" recordings och
recordings for plucked instrument.

Viola players seem to expand their repertoire considerably.  There is a new
recording of three violin partitas on Pierre Verany.

I found something really odd on www.jpc.de.  Henk van Twillert has made a
recording of cello suites on saxophone.  The information provided was that
there were six suites on one CD. This didn't seem possible.  I asked them
per e mail whether it was six suites on two CD's or three suites on one CD.
They didn't know.

Has anyone acquired the Twillert recordings? How many suites and CD's are
there?

Michael Cervin
Lund, Sweden