From:
Dave Mepham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:06:43 EDT
For anyone who's wondered what the fuss is about the Proms, especially
the Last Night of the Proms - Select (the distributors of Naxos in the UK)
are releasing the BBC DVD of last year's Last Night of the Proms next month
in the UK. It's going to have 3 hours of footage, and features Hiliary
Hahn and the usual audience participation.  It was also, of course, Andrew
Davis' final Last Night - a very emotional time for all Proms-fans, and a
fine challenge to Slatkin who carries the baton this year.

I noticed that Slatkin was practicing for the Proms with a 'mini-Proms'
in, I think, Washington.  It's not often that people in Britain get that
patriotic, and the spectacle of the Last Night is one to be experienced.
Personally, I don't know where they find all the Union Flags...

Dave Mepham