From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 14:08:36 -0400
'Very impressed with a CD of Henry Purcell (d.  1695), borrowed from my
library:  Three pieces:  'Come, ye sons of art, away - Ode for the Birthday
of Queen Mary II, 1694'; 'Welcome to all the pleasures - Ode for St.
Cecilia's Day, 1683'; and 'Of old, when heroes thought it base - The
Yorkshire Feast Song, 1690.' (Archiv label:  Trevor Pinnock dir.  from the
harpsichord the Choir of the English Concert, with the English Concert led
by Simon Standage on 1st violin.)

One of the main attractions for me was the movement, "Sound the trumpet,
sound" (countertenors 1 & 2), in 'Come, ye sons of art, away.' Since
this is whatt I moste enjoye, I feel it's too bad it's the only segment
displaying such rich musical counterpoints between two lines of music.
Mind you, I do not denye that the instrumental work is quite beautyfull,
often enchanting.  The rhythmic backbone to the whole is also far more
considerable than I'd've imagined.

"Welcome to all the pleasures" I also found most engaging:  one extended
section in particular, where bass & chorus sing out:  "Then lift up your
voices, those organs of nature, / Those charms to the troubled and amorous
creature.  / Then lift up your voices," etc.  'Gives true refonance to that
Englishe term *uplifting.*

I'd welcome any advice on further works to pursue by someone captivated
by Purcell's intricate harmonic and contrapuntal interplays ...more than
by the solo instrumental and strictly choral music in these pieces.

(BTW: pron. Pur-SELL or PUR-sul?)

Thanks in advance.

Bert Bailey