From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:07:45 -0800
I possess a British seat-cane, which I take with me to a magazine shop
every month or two.  The seat-cane makes it reasonably comfortable to
sit/stand at the magazine rack and flip through ARG and/or Fanfare right
in the store, quickly reading those (few) reviews which are of interest.
I thus save money as well as time and have not, to tell the truth, ever
paused long enough at editorial columns to read them.

On the whole, I find this List more informative, as well as more fun
to read, than either of these rags, or their glossy British counterpart.
Note that the List depends upon voluntary cooperative activity, in contrast
to the magazines, which depend upon market transactions plus advertising
revenue.  The latter cannot fail to compromise the magazines' integrity (as
some on this List have pointed out).  And the magazines are far more costly
to produce.  I daresay, most of the subscribers to this List would be
willing to make a small contribution to the List's maintanence, if that
were required.

These considerations raise a rather interesting question about how
social activities might be organized.  You may recall that people called
anarcho-syndicalists have pondered this question before, in relation even
to social activities more fundamental than the discussion of recorded CM.

Cheers///

Jon Gallant and Dr. Phage