From:
Christopher Rosevear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 01:15:49 -0000
Donald Satz asked:

>2.  What are considered the best compositions Francaix wrote?

L'Horloge des Fleurs (the Flower Clock) was, I believe, written for John
de Lancie (as was the Strauss Oboe Concerto).  I do not own a CD but have
heard the recording by de Lancie several times; it is quite extraordinary
for its understated elegance and the most wonderful legato to be heard.  As
a piece, l'Horloge is typical of Francaix - witty, charming with a touch of
melancholy, and a vast understanding of woodwind.

I shall not judge whether it is his "best" work - but it pleases me.

I also have sitting in front of me the score of his cor anglais quartet
written for Janet Craxton - Classic FM gave it an airing recently - I only
caught a snip of it but it was enough to get me to buy the music!  There
are several recordings listed on Amazon.

Christopher Rosevear