HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 06:51:34 -0700
Bruce:

Two squatter's camps (ca. 1930s) have been identified in southern Nevada
associated with the construction of Hoover Dam.  One extensive and notorious
camp, Texas Acres, is situated at Railroad Pass outside the former
government reservation boundary and is an outgrowth of a labor dispute and a
lockout of striking workers.  The other is situated in Bootleg Canyon, a
reported backdoor route later used by bootleggers to run booze into Boulder
City.  It was probably occupied by workers and their families prior to
construction of Boulder City.  Although the camps and their features have
been described, no mitigation work has been done.  However, the Bureau of
Reclamation is preparing to do so on the Texas Acres camp as part of a road
widening project.  You may wish to contact Pat Hicks, Regional Archaeologist
for details - [log in to unmask]   Hope this helps......