HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:20:40 +0100
Iain Stuart wrote:

> Alasdair,
>
> every military base has the same story which qualifies as an "urban" myth.
> The best version is that divers found the graveyard where US Aircraft
> Carriers dumped their aircraft at the end of WWII and it contained
> "pristine" examples of aircraft just ready to be salvaged. All you had to do
> is pay the divers a fee for the location....
>
> I can't quite imagine the Poms throwing their equipment into the lake in
> 1941 can you?

Oh, I agree, which is why I named the story as "local 'folklore".  Quite
apart from the fact that said lake is miles away from the nearest
British military base - and a few miles off the main road to Reykjavik -
the thought that the British army would throw anything potentially
useful away in 1941 is quite ludicrous.

My favourite current example of this particular myth is the scandal
currently engulfing the Prime Minister of Thailand, who apparently
believed that the Japanese army had abandoned a massive treasure
somewhere in the country.

Alasdair Brooks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alasdair Brooks
Department of Archaeology
University of York
King's Manor
York
YO1 7EP
England, UK
phone: 01904 433931
"The Buffalo tastes the same on both sides of the border"
Sitting Bull