HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Margaret Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:16:19 -0400
  My brother, a coin collector for years, identified this as a
coin made by the British East India Company for the Island of
Samatra in 1788 and 1804. The one described is probably 1788.
They're very thin brass. On one side is Arabic type lettering, a
numeral "1" and something under it. On the other side is the
British East India Company Coat of Arms, two lions, each holding
small flags and supporting a shield with a cross on it and it
says, "British East India Company" at the top. They are in 1, 2,
and 4 keping denominations.
Marge Green