HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jay and Beth Stottman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 08:36:28 -0700
I agree completely.  With my focus on public archaeology, I probably have
more contact with latent archaeological tendencies than I do with real
professionals.  However as several people have pointed out, we do need to
maintain our professionalism and lots of patients.  It is a real delicate
matter dealing with folks who are obviously not going to respect your
assessment.  I try not to relegate their interpretations as untrue, but try
to open their eyes to alternative perspectives that are at least equally
valid.  I try to understand as much about their perspective as possible and
consider it a possibility and then put forth my interpretation.  Such is the
case with a recent encounter with a dowser.  I had a dowser who was
convinced that he had discovered historic graves at development site, when I
examined the area there was no evidence of graves.  It really helped that we
recently had a discussion about dowsing on this listserv.  I was able to
discuss dowsing with him and explain my methodology.  While I did not
convince him of my perspective, he seemed to have some respect for me and it
was a rather cordial agreement to disagree.

Jay Stottman
Kentucky Archaelogical Survey