HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:24:27 -0800
In urban Detroit during the 30's and 40's milk was delivered locally by horse drawn cart, we'd
yell "giddy-up" when the milkman wasn't looking but the dumb horse didn't know what that meant.

On cold mornings the milk (which was set on the porch) would start to freeze and the cream
(before the days of homogenization) would push the cardboard cap aside and come up like a
popsicle, (must be we were supposed to take it because mom's never said anything.)

The milk bottles were of many types. Some long necked and tall, and others squat and squareish
(new word).

The best bottles of all time .. were the 7 oz (?) coke that had the name of the city that
bottled them embossed on the bottom. Coka Cola embossed the name of the city there so's (when a
group were buying) who ever had the nearest city had to pay for everyone's drink.

Detroit was built with alley ways (running within each block .. no longer in evidence BTW) that
houses backed onto. Up thru the 40's trash was picked up from the alley by horse drawn carts
(These horses were smarter .. 'cause they'd giddy-up when told .. much to every mom's chagrin)

Pop bottles were 2 cents, gas was 8 gallons for a dollar, mail was delivered twice a day, and in
the early 40's we'd all put grease and metals out on the front curb for the war effort.