HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alexy Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:43:05 +1200
Julie Mastin,

RE    Gaye Nayton's Notes concerning NZ info on buttons

Fiona Cameron's (1985) Analysis of Clothing Hardware and Textiles of the
19th Century Chinese Gold Miners in Central Otago was prepared as a BA
honours dissertation (Anthropology Dept Univ of Otago, Dunedin).  It
includes a chronology from ca 1200 to 1925.  The only metal buttons similar
to the one you describe are: 14mm & 17mm brass four holed sew through/ rim
stamped design 3 stars "Excelsior"/ produced in Wellington (no date was
established for this button). (...obviously not your button).

Other Notes Relating to Buttons:
Embossed metal buttons were particularly popular between 1880 and 1900 (pers
comm Cameron in Ritchie 1986:515).

Cameron includes the following statement concerning post 1930 plastic and
synthetic buttons on page123:
"In the 1930's plastic button manufacturing and popularity of the raw
material increased.  The later buttons were more durable, varied in style
and colour (Luscomb 1968:154).  Plastic buttons were made by a wide and
varied number of manufacturing techniques.  I will not elaborate on this
aspect because plastic/ synthetic buttons are of little use to the
archaeologist as temporal indicators."

A copy of Neville Ritchie's thesis chapter (5.6d) on button's, textiles,
clothing hardware, and foot wear can be obtained from P Wegars, Asian Comp.
Collect. [log in to unmask] (there will be a small cost which goes to the
comparative collection).  Chapter 5.6d acknowledges Cameron's dissertation
and provides a limited discussion of the pertinent information.  (Note:
Nev's PhD thesis does not include any post 1925 artefacts).

Ref.
Luscomb, SC
1968   The Collectors Encyclopaedia of Buttons.  Crown Publishers Inc, New
York.

I checked a few archaeological reports I have been using, but didn't find
any "Excel store" button's illustrated.  (Not surprising since the sites
were pre 1890's).

Fiona is living in Sydney and is a museum exhibition consultant.  (I can't
find her email in this computers address book but can probably track it
down. (Email me directly if you want to contact her since she is on your
side of the Tasman).

Cheers- Alexy Simmons