From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:15:40 -0500
Coming Up on NPR's Performance Today

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, OCTOBER, 29th

Hour 1 -- In Rehearsal Part Two:  PT writer David Schulman has been
following the Kronos Quartet as they prepare their new album, Nuevo.  He'll
take us behind the scenes as they use pop techniques to mix the music.

Hour 2 -- Rachmaninoff from the Dallas Symphony:  We'll eavesdrop on an
electric performance of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No.  2 with the
Dallas Symphony on the road in Lucerne, Switzerland.  The conductor is
Andrew Litton and the soloist is Zoltan Kocsis.

Tuesday, OCTOBER 30th

Hour 1 -- A new man for Boston:  Yesterday, the Boston Symphony Orchestra
named James Levine as its new Music Director.  We'll hear comments from
Levine and Boston Globe critic Richard Dyer puts the appointment in
perspective.

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with Sonata form:  Sonata form is one of the
building blocks of music from the classical era, and our PT answer-man
Miles Hoffman will join Fred to explain how it works.

Wednesday, OCTOBER 31st

Hour 1 -- "Philip on Film": A new five CD set of film scores by minimalist
composer Philip Glass was released this month.  Film music critic Royal
Brown joins Fred to put Philip Glass's film music into perspective.

Hour 2 -- Thrilling music in concert around the country to celebrate
Halloween.

Thursday, NOVEMBER 1st

Hour 1 -- Andrew Manze in NPR's Studio 4A:  The acclaimed, risk-taking
baroque violinist Andrew Manze and harpsichordist Richard Egarr join Fred
in NPR's Studio 4A for a private recital.  They'll play music by Handel,
Corelli, Pandolfi and more.

Hour 2 -- Basic Rimsky-Korsakov:  Critic Ted Libbey joins Fred to recommend
recordings of Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio Espagnol for your Basic
Record Library.

Friday, NOVEMBER 2nd

Hour 1 -- A session of "This is Your Musical Life" with pianist Leif Ove
Andsnes:  The Norwegian pianist has quietly become a major pianist of our
time.  We'll confront him with performances he's given over the past couple
of years, including a performance of the Schumann Piano Concerto in A minor
with the Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra.  He'll also introduce us
to a lovely Chopin song called "My Happiness" transcribed for the piano by
Franz Liszt.

Hour 2 --  A selection of recent concert performances from the United States
and abroad.

AND ON THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE: Listen to Midori in NPR's Studio
4A and view our exclusive slide show... Listen to William Harvey's touching
story on playing for the Fighting 69th... Check out what music PT listeners
are turning to for solace and comfort in the wake of recent events....Listen
to Ensemble Rebel and the Cypress String Quartet each perform in NPR's
Studio 4A....Listen to insightful commentary on Classical music on the
web.... Order your copy of "Peter and the Wolf: A Special Report."  You'll
find it all at http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>