From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:25:07 -0400
COMING UP ON PERFORMANCE TODAY OCTOBER 22 -- OCTOBER 26, 2001

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, OCTOBER 22

Hour 1 -- Hard times in St. Louis: The St. Louis Symphony is facing a
major financial crisis that threatens the viability of the orchestra.
Jim Dryden reports.

Hour 2 -- Joshua Bell solos in the Beethoven Violin Concerto:  We'll
eavesdrop on a concert performance by the Oregon Symphony, with James
DePreist conducting.

Tuesday, OCTOBER 23

Hour 1 -- Midori in NPR's Studio 4A:  Violinist Midori and pianist Robert
McDonald join Fred for a recital in NPR's Studio 4A.  On Monday, Midori
will receive one of classical music's most prestigious awards.

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with percussion:  Commentator Miles Hoffman
joins Fred to come to terms with a listener's question about percussion
instruments in the orchestra.

Wednesday, OCTOBER 24

A sampler of recent concert performances from around the county.

Thursday, OCTOBER 25

Hour 1 -- Our keyboard sleuth, our Poirot of the Piano Joseph Smith
uncovers another forgotten piano miniature from the depths of his piano
bench.

Hour 2 -- Basic Hindemith:  Basic Record Library Curator Ted Libbey
recommends recordings of Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphoses on Themes
of Carl Maria Von Weber.

Friday, OCTOBER 26

Hour 1 -- The Anatomy of an encore:  Van Cliburn Gold-Medallist Jon
Nakamatsu recently wrapped up a recital at Festival Miami 2001 with four
encores.  Fred quizzes Nakamatsu on how he chose the encores and when he
knows it's time to stop.

Hour 2 -- Musical offerings:  We'll hear a sampling of music performed in
concert.

AND ON THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE:  Listen to William Harvey's
touching story on playing for the Fighting 69th....  Listen to Talk of the
Nation Host Neal Conan interview Fred on music in response to September
11th...  Check out what music PT listeners are turning to for solace and
comfort ....Listen to pianist Adam Neiman perform in NPR's Studio
4A....Take a peek at the new NPR series--"In Rehearsal"....Listen to our
hour in memory of violinist Isaac Stern....  Order your copy of "Peter
and the Wolf:  A Special Report." You'll find it all at
http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.