From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:05:22 -0400
Dear Listeners,

This week we have the pleasure of featuring two pianists who are as
different as they get:  Van Cliburn and Billy Joel.  Van Cliburn recalls
his win at the Tchaikovsky Competition and Billy Joel introduces music from
his new classical album.  You may be surprised to learn that his favorite
piano music is by the 19th century romantics, and that's the music he's
emulated for his new CD.  Also, Angel Romero plays the wonderful Concerto
de Aranjuez by Spanish composer Joaquin Rodrigo.  And Miles Hoffman clears
up a thorny musical term -- continuo.  I guarantee you'll know what it
means by the time he's done.  There's so much more, and I hope you get
a chance to listen.

By the way, if you'd like to read the beautiful, moving essay by the young
Juilliard student who played for rescue workers in New York, the text
version is up on our website now.

COMING UP ON PERFORMANCE TODAY OCTOBER 13 - 19, 2001

KORVA COLEMAN IS HOST

Saturday, OCTOBER 13

Hour 1 -- Vivaldi marathon:  This hour we'll eavesdrop on Vivaldi in
concert -- some conventional and some off the beaten track -- including an
arrangement of the Concerto in D minor for accordion, bass balalaika and a
small-necked lute known as a domra.

Hour 2 -- Festival Beethoven:  The Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio plays
Beethoven's Variations in E-flat on an Original Theme Op.  44 at the Aspen
Music Festival in Colorado.  We'll also head up to the Chamber Music
Festival Northwest in Portland for a performance of Beethoven's Rondino
in E-flat for Woodwinds.

Sunday, OCTOBER 14

Hour 1 -- Bach marathon:  Our all-Bach hour begins with Bach's Chaconne
played on the guitar by Manuel Barrueco in NPR's Studio 4A.  We'll then
head over to Portland, Oregon to hear one of the finest Bach pianists of
our time -- Angela Hewitt -- play the Toccata in G.

Hour 2 -- Performance Today Piano Showcase:  From evocative music of Claude
Debussy, to the rambunctious Piano Concerto No.  1 by Franz Liszt, we're
celebrating the piano this hour in concert from the Bard Music Festival and
the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, OCTOBER 15

Hour 1 -- A Spanish Spectacular:  The music of Isaac Albeniz, Manuel de
Falla, and Joaquin Rodrigo played in concert by some of today's finest
soloists including guitarists Angel and Pepe Romero and pianist Santiago
Rodriguez.

Hour 2 -- Rebel LIVE in NPR's Studio 4A:  We'll hear a feast of Baroque
music as the ensemble Rebel joins us for a private recital in our studios.
The members of Rebel are former Performance Today Young Artists in
Residence.  They'll play music by Tomaso Albinoni, Antonio Vivaldi and
a composer whose nickname was "Little Ragamuffin."

Tuesday, OCTOBER 16

Hour 1 -- Van Cliburn on competitions:  Fred has a rare interview with Van
Cliburn, who won the Gold Medal at the Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow in
1958.  Tomorrow night, PBS will air a documentary about this year's Van
Cliburn International Piano Competition in Fort Worth, Texas.

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with continuo:  PT answer-man Miles Hoffman joins
Fred to dispel the rumor that a continuo is an instrument.  To find out
what it is, tune in to this week's edition of "Coming to Terms."

Wednesday, OCTOBER 17

Hour 1 -- A postcard from New York:  Commentator Terry Teachout has
attended several concerts in New York that have him thinking about the
ability of music to strike the right chord in times of crisis.

Hour 2 -- All-American hour in concert around the country:  Music by George
Gershwin, Samuel Barber, Howard Hanson, John Philip Sousa and Edgar Meyer
performed by the Buffalo Philharmonic, the Dallas Winds, the US Marine
Band, violinist Joshua Bell and Edgar Meyer.

Thursday, OCTOBER 18

Hour 1 -- Journey on the Silk Road:  We'll have a report from the opening
of Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road project, which is inspired by music that was played
along the ancient silk road trading route.

Hour 2 -- Ted Libbey joins Fred to recommend recordings for the PT Basic
Record Library.

Friday, OCTOBER 19

Hour 1 -- Billy Joel goes Classical:  Songwriter and pianist Billy Joel may
be famous for his contributions to rock 'n' roll and pop music, but he has
just released an album of his own classical piano music.  Fred finds out
why Billy Joel took this unexpected turn.

Hour 2 -- Musical offerings:  We'll hear a sampling of music performed in
concert.

A PEEK AT NEXT WEEK:

Monday, OCTOBER 22

Hour 1 -- Hard times in St.  Louis:  We'll hear a report from Jim Dryden
on the financial crisis of the St.  Louis Symphony, the most prominent
orchestra facing crippling deficits.

Hour 2 -- Midori in NPR's Studio 4A:  Violinist Midori and pianist Robert
MacDonald join Fred for a recital in NPR's Studio 4A.

AND ON THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE:  Listen to Talk of the Nation
Host Neal Conan interview Fred on music in response to September 11th...
Check out what music PT listeners are turning to for solace and comfort
....Listen to pianist Adam Neiman perform in NPR's Studio 4A....Take a
peek at the new NPR series--"In Rehearsal"....Listen to our hour in memory
of violinist Isaac Stern....  Order your copy of "Peter and the Wolf:  A
Special Report." You'll find it all at http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

NOTE:  SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>