From:
Christopher Rosevear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:34:05 +0100
I have just come across an extraordinary CD of Koechlin's music for bassoon:

Charles Koechlin Works for Bassoon - Eckart Huebner & the SWF SO; CD#:  CPO
999-434-2

The three works on the disk are, in chronological order:

- Trois Pieces op 34 (bassoon/piano)
- Sonata op 71 (bassoon/piano)
- Silhouettes de Comedie op 193 (bassoon/orchestra)

You do not have to be a bassoon fanatic to enjoy this music (though it
helps!) It ranges from early romantic to nearly atonal with huge aplomb.
With his long life span (1867-1950) it is like having Debussy (1863-1918)
alive through the 2nd World War and into post-Vienna modernism.

It also made me think that we normally only come across Koechlin as music
theorist or orchestral arranger; but these are significant pieces, well
written, inventive and satisfying - why do we not hear more of his music?

The performances by Huebner are extraordinary - grace, wit, power and
agility; as well as a crucifying set of underwear for the high notes!

Christopher Rosevear