From:
Susan Juhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:49:23 -0700
This is the playlist from the radio show I did today.  Up until 10 AM this
morning, our station had played nonstop news from Democracy Now, NPR, BBC,
PRI, local call-in shows, etc.  The phone calls I received proved that
music was helping people more than words.

Prayer of St. Gregory
Alan Hovhaness

There is a Country; Still, Still with Thee
Richard De Long; Fred Gramann
(from Sounding Joy: The American Repertory Singers Sacred Music from
the Last Decades of the 20th century  Arsis 105)

Elegy from Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra
John Corliagno
(written in memory of composer's father, who had been concertmaster
of the New York Philharmonic for 23 years.)

Lux Aeterna: Introitus (Eternal Rest)
Morten Lauridsen
(this is a stunning work)

Summerland
William Grant Still
(Depicts the heaven to which the soul journeys at life's end)

Fantasy on a Hymn Tune of Justin Morgan
Thomas Canning
(It's reminiscent of Vaughan William's Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas
Tallis in the writing for strings and mood of rapt contemplation.)

Simple Song  from Mass
Leonard Bernstein

Alleluia
Randall Thompson
(It has a one word text. It's not celebratory. The haunting beauty of
this inspired work stems from its mood of subdued sorrow combined
with hope.)

Variations on Reflections
Amy Scurria
(thanks to this list for recommending this fine composer)

Serenata for Orchestra: Con sentimento (middle mvt)
Walter Piston

Chaconne (in Memoriam...)
Ron Nelson
(Nelson writes exuberant music as a rule; this is different)

Out of the Depths
Alan Hovhaness

Threnody from suite for violin with String Orchestra
Lou Harrison

Kaddish for cello and orchestra
David Diamond

Pilgrims' Hymn