From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:50:41 +1000
Terry Newstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Last night I attended part of "Musicfest 2001", the summer festival of
>the Minnesota Orchestra.
>
>The remainder of the program:
>
>Lou Harrison -- Concerto for Violin and Percussion

Did the program notes describing this piece get translated into Esperanto?
Harrison is a speaker of this artificial language; & the official title -
don't have it with me; so i can't transcribe it - of the piece is written
in Esperanto....

Linguistic gestures aside:  for this writer, this concerto is one of the
truly great scores of my lifetime; & should be much better known than it
is.  The combination of violin & percussion ensemble is hardly an obvious
choice for any composer; but Harrison merges the very different textures of
soloist & partners with a virtuoso flair to create a dark, singing line
which never seems forced.  A wonderful piece which has been recorded a
couple of times in USAmerica; although the only disc i've actually been
able to lay my hands on the premiere recording on Crystal....

All the best,
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
endeavour2 project <http://www.geocities.com/robtclements/endeavour2.html>