From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:35:35 -0400
Christine Labroche writes:

>Pity Vitezslava Kapralova, Martinu's Vitka - pupil and more - did not
>live long enough (1915-1940) and was never recorded.  She impressed her
>contemporaries in Europe. ...
>
>The Czech Symphony Orchestra of Brno (cond.  Frantisek Jilek) have recently
>recorded some of her works: MK 0049-2011(Matousek/ Studio Matous).

This CD arrived here this morning in a fascinating batch from Musicabona
[also music by Martinu, Jezek, Schulhoff, Ostrcil, Novak, Husa, and J.
L. Dussek].  The Military Sinfonietta recording [Jilek and the Brno
Philharmonic] is a vast improvement at least in sound over the recording
[Trhlik/FOK Orch] I had for years on a 10" mono LP.  By any measure, this
is an impressive work, thematically cogent and elegantly worked out.  There
are six other works of Kapralova's on the CD, variously a string quartet,
a suite for piano solo, works for voice and piano and voice with orchestra.

I shall rush the Military Sinfonietta [and perhaps some of her other music]
into the nearest WOV netcast [this Sunday] amid an griboulage of other
long-anticipated nouveautes.

John Wiser