From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:33:16 -0400
Sorry - I have been out of town and just got back.  First and foremost, is
the CD by Raymond Lewenthal on BMG High Performance.  It has great works
by the best Alkan pianist, at least the best before Hamelin.  Hamelin is
stupendous in his recording of the Concerto, (Etudes Op 39, 8-10) on Music
and Arts (maybe unavailable by now).

Equally great is Hamelin's Sonate, Sonatine and other works on Hyperion.
Also, there is a new Hyperion CD with Hamelin that has the Symphonie (Op
39, 4-7) and other works.  I have an advance order in place at Tower.
Haven't heard it, obviously, but it is bound to be great.

The other thing you might want to try is another Lewenthal double CD from
Elan called "The Concerto Recordings".  It also has the music for solo
piano by Alkan from an entire LP.  So, the title of the Elan is misleading.
The BMG music is also duplicated on Elan, but I understand that the BMG is
far superior to the Elan CD which I have not heard.  At around $11.00, the
BMG is a steal.  I paid over $20 for a used vinyl copy years ago.

Good luck, and keep in touch.

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan