From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 20:06:32 -0500
Laurence Sherwood wrote:

>My question is do Wagner's non-musical writings contain any concerted
>animus toward the French? If so, could you direct me to them (in English
>translation)? And if not, why would you think his ugly depiction of the
>non-German was a veiled reference to the French? His writings do, of course
>reflect his vicious anti-Semitism, but I am unaware of anything comparable
>directed toward the people of France.  I would note that generally
>"enemies" from within- which in Wagner's case certainly meant Jews-
>are generally considered more insidious than those from outside.

The spelling should be "welscher" rather than "waelscher" and is a German
adjective (possibly related to the stem Gallic) referring to things
French, as in "die welsche Schweiz", which is the French speaking part
of Switzerland.  Thus, while I know of no writings by Wagner displaying
hostility towards the French (for whom, however, I believe he had little
love), the specific reference to matters "welsch" in Sachs' admonition
against foreign influences, would appear to be directed at French
influences.

Walter Meyer