From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:28:01 -0500
Norman Lebrecht replies to me:

>>I still think a Real Mahlerian has to do the entire cycle ...
>
>In that case, Otto Klemperer does not qualify as a real Mahlerian.

As others have pointed out to me, to my great embarrassment - also
Barbirolli and Walter.  I admit it was a dumb remark to make.  On the other
hand, I will make an even dumber one:  I never cared for Klemperer's Mahler
or, for that matter, his performances of 19th-century music in general.
I always thought him at his noticeably better best in modern stuff.

Steve Schwartz